NYT on Bush judge appointments

Brad DeLong delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU
Tue Oct 31 07:51:20 PST 2000

>Max Sawicky wrote:
>>Sean Wilentz is circulating a new anti-Nader statement.
>>Pretty slanderous, albeit in subtle ways. I'll post it
>>if the masses demand it.
>
>Please do.
>Doug
>
>It's appended. A few introductory, prejudicial remarks:
>By expressing a preference for Bush in some statements,
>Wilentz (SW) is inferring RN's support for a 'the worse
>the better' position. This does not follow. If you
>think Gush and Bore are the same, or similar, then one
>isn't worse than the other in a meaningful sense.

Well they aren't the same. Even if they're similar one has got to be worse than the other. So then Nader's position has to be that Bush isn't (much) worse and that Nader's running will produce all kinds of indirect blessings in the long run. That ain't Lenin's "the worse, the better"; but it is a distant cousin.

Me, I was very impressed by how the left wing of the British Labour Party's fight with the right wing between 1979 and 1995 led to the mutual ruin of the contending factions...

Brad DeLong