Lighter Fluid

Dennis R Redmond dredmond at oregon.uoregon.edu
Tue Oct 31 17:26:12 PST 2000

On Tue, 31 Oct 2000 LeoCasey at aol.com wrote:

> A response by Carl Pope, Sierra Club director, to Ralph Nader's letter of
> complaint that he is being bashed by the environmental movement.
>
> Irresponsible as I find your strategy, I accept that you genuinely
> believe in it.  Please accept that I, and the overwhelming majority of
> the environmental movement in this country, genuinely believe that your
> strategy is flawed, dangerous and reckless.
> [text cut] do so. My hope
> is that by electing the best environmental President in American
> history, Al Gore, we can move forward.

You know, just the other day those *&%%$ers at the Sierra Club just called me for money (which I duly forked over) and I got to listen to some nimrod tell me about how "this is the most promising legislative session ever" and put in some Gore plugs. Whatever, I thought, the national folks are one thing, but the local clubs are cool, always work the system while subverting it. But the astonishing gall of claiming that Mr. Occidental Petroleum is the Goddess' gift to the ecosystem, while castigating Nader as Public Enemy Number One, is in a class of its own. This is like the stuff I've been reading on the latter half of Mao's Cultural Revolution: noone *believed* in any of the East-is-Red crap anymore, but they went through the motions anyway.

To paraphrase Tolstoy, all one party-states are unique, but all one-party states seem to go extinct in exactly the same way.

-- Dennis