lbo-talk-digest V1 #3554

Leslilake1 at aol.com Leslilake1 at aol.com
Tue Oct 31 19:22:14 PST 2000

I thought there was a supreme court case which upheld the right to gather signatures or perform some kind of political activities in malls - citation something like "plumfield v...." or something?

LJ

what i'm playing on here is the fact that they have created a space for people to lounge around and don't typically object to "mall walkers" and other sorts of upstanding citizens milling around not necessarily shopping. they flip if you try to use the public space for any sort of leaf letting or political protest or whathaveyou. you can do that on a main street in Podunk USA more often than not. not in a mall because it's all privately owned and they've aggressively enforced the deterioration of the public sphere--what little we had of it.