Allies against fascism?

Rob Schaap rws at comedu.canberra.edu.au
Tue Oct 31 21:04:25 PST 2000

Worth pointing out, too, that D-Day could not have happened but for the Eastern Front in general and Germany's enormous reversals at Stalingrad and Kursk in particular. So D-Day was not, and could never be, a decisive war-ender or a very useful aid to the Soviets (the possibility of it probably kept the few really useful divisions left at Rommel's disposal in the west, but even they - mebbe 100 000 tried'n'true - couldn't have turned the eastern tide after Kursk). By the time a western invasion was practically doable, it was more a matter of keeping a chunky buffer zone on the continent out of Stalin's mits ...

Cheers, Rob.