Chomsky & Skinner (was RE: Freedom and equality?)

kelley sales at interpactinc.com
Fri Sep 1 10:44:11 PDT 2000

>First of all, Chomsky would probably discourage a linking of his
>"hypothesis of innate ideas" (a philosophical/scientific speculation) with
>his belief in anarchism (a political conviction).

don't have time right now, but he did say just that to my mentor, in my presence. my mentor called him on this issue once. manny wrote about habermas's work and that of other functionalists in _The Technological Conscience: Survival and Dignity in an Age of Expertise_, so he was rather critical of chomsky's work. C flat out told him that he saw no linkage between his work on language/mind as his political work. like manny, i disagree and think it's absurd to think that you can argue for a theory of language/mind and not see how it is thoroughly political since all political theories must account for the relationship between self and society.

kelley