Freedom and equality?

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Fri Sep 1 02:11:21 PDT 2000

On Thu, 31 Aug 2000 22:47:35 -0700 "Lisa & Ian Murray" <seamus at accessone.com> writes:
> >>Miles wrote: This is a pretty generous summary of the rise and fall
> of
> behaviorism
> > in psychology as a scientific discipline. In fact, Skinner's
> ideas
> > fell out of favor in the 1960s and 1970s among psychological
> researchers
> > because a growing corpus of cognitive research clearly
> disconfirmed
> > basic behaviorist tenets.
> ===============
>
> Some scholars cite Noam Chomsky's 1957 Syntactic Structures and his
> 1959
> review of Skinner's Verbal Behavior, to which Skinner never replied,
> as the
> death knell of behaviorism. An anarchist slam dunk on
> authoritarianism in
> yet another neglected dimension of human affairs :-)

Although Skinner never replied to Chomsky, a behaviorist reply was written by K. MacCorqoudale in 1969. "On Chomsky's Review of Skinner's *Verbal Behavior*." Journal of the Experimental Analysis of Behavior. 12:831-841. MacCorquoudale among other things characterized Chomsky's review as "an amalgam of some rather oudated behavioristic lore including reinforcement by drive reduction, the extinction criterion for response strength, a peudo-incompatibility of genetic and reinforcement processes, and other notions which have nothing to do with Skinner's account." In other words MacCorquodale charged that Chomsky was basically attacking a straw man which had little to do with Skinner's actual views, in particular failing to distinguish the ways in which Skinner's radical behaviorism differed from other forms of behaviorism.

Also, Pere Julia in his *Explanatory Models in Linguistics* (Princeton Press, 1983) provided a defense of Skinner's approach to language as verbal behavior and critiqed Chomsky's approaches.

Regardless, of how one evaluates the respective positions of Chomsky and Skinner, I think that one can agree with Marc Richelle in his *B.F. Skinner: A Reappraisal* that Skinner made a big mistake by not replying directly to Chomsky. Richelle seems to think that this was because Skinner was lacking a taste for the kind of rough-and-tumble intellectual debates which Chomsky clearly relishes.

Jim Farmelant

________________________________________________________________ YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET! Juno now offers FREE Internet Access! Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.