Martin Mayer

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at tsoft.com
Fri Sep 1 22:31:45 PDT 2000

Well the sb interface isn't in the GENERIC kernel so you'll have to build a kernel with support in it before you go looking for the device (man sb). After rebooting 'dmesg' should show a device at sb0. I think I've got an sb-16 in a drawer at work that I can throw into a test box when I get there and see what it does.

Joseph Noonan

--

I am running 3.3 GENERIC. I re-compiled a kernel a couple of times in 2.8. I should obviously have done it in 3.3, but never bothered. You know going through LINT is a kind of amazing exercise in testing what you know and what you don't. It opens up the concept of an OS and its interaction with the hardware to something like a ocean of possibilities. Things like booting off some alternative device, concatenating disks so directory systems span multiple disks to set up giant databases, and drivers for things I've never heard of.

You know I am not sure the pc and mac world is ready for freedom. I used to think FreeBSD was called that because it didn't cost anything. But now I wonder if they meant that other kind of free---as in doing what ever the fuck you want. Hmm?

There it is in LINT, audio drivers: sb, sbxvi, sbmidi. It looks like the reason they didn't include these in GENERIC is because of potential port and irq conflicts (irq 5, is used on sio2, and 0x300 is my network card port).

I've got to take a little time to think about it, update the system sources, and do a trial run on the other box to see. This probably sounds pretty chicken, since the few kernel re-builds I've done worked after a couple of minor errors. The last one was so fast, I thought it crashed.

Thanks Joe. Don't fiddle around unless it interests you.

Chuck Grimes