Crime, Pests, Loyalists

Eli Moskowitz elimoskowitz at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 3 09:00:59 PDT 2000

>Chlorpyrifos, sold under the trade names Dursban and Lorsban, has been
>in widespread use for over 30 years with no evidence of harm to humans.

The Washington Post, June 14, 2000, Wednesday, Final Edition

Chemicals and the Developing Brain

If yours is a typical household, you've probably got several pesticides, and chances are at least one of them contains chlorpyrifos. The compound, known generically as an organophosphate, has been linked to damage in the developing brain and was restricted by the Environmental Protection Agency last week.

Chlorpyrifos, commonly marketed under the trade names Dursban and Lorsban, is found in more than 800 products ranging from flea collars to lawn care products and in bug sprays used everywhere. More than 20 million pounds of the pesticide is sold annually, making it one of the most widely used in existence. Under an agreement between the EPA and the manufacturers, products containing chlorpyrifos can remain on store shelves until the end of next year. New production for nonagricultural uses is to stop by the end of this year. The EPA is imposing tighter restrictions on its use in some agricultural products but is still allowing it on many crops.

"We've got actual studies that show it injures the developing brain, even at low-dose exposure in gestation or early life," says David Wallinga, a physician and senior scientist at the Natural Resources Defense Council, a Washington-based environmental group. "You see lasting changes in brain chemistry in animal studies. Drops in the cells in the brain, drops in the synthesis of DNA in the brain. . . .

"It is one of 35 organophosphates which act in the same ways. We simply haven't tested the others. We are often quite ignorant when we put things on the market. To really make sure kids are protected, the chemical should have been banned," he says, adding that continued use of the chemical will expose many pregnant women and children.

"There are plenty of alternatives for just about all these uses, both in agriculture and in the home."

Wallinga and other public health advocates such as the Greater Boston Physicians for Social Responsibility make the point that it has taken thousands of studies and 30 years to get this one pesticide restricted. It's like having one brand of cigarettes removed from the market every 30 years.

"You've got a huge pesticide industry that's been having closed-door meetings with EPA staff for years and plows millions into lobbying and in turn generates enormous profits," Wallinga says. "You can't turn that around overnight."

The Boston physicians' group issued a report in May warning that developmental, learning and behavioral disabilities have reached epidemic proportions among American children. Nearly 12 million youngsters under the age of 18 suffer from one of more of these problems. The number of children on California's autism registry increased by 210 percent between 1987 and 1998.

The report, "In Harm's Way," cited numerous peer-reviewed studies of animals and humans that demonstrate that many neurotoxins commonly found in the environment can contribute to these problems. They include lead, mercury, cadmium, manganese, nicotine, pesticides, dioxin and other chemicals that accumulate in the food chain, and solvents. They operate by being directly toxic to cells or interfering with hormones, neurotransmitters and other systems involved with growth. Small exposure to mercury, such as frequent maternal consumption of fish, has been implicated in language, attention and memory impairment that appears to be permanent. The EPA has estimated that 1.16 million pregnant women eat enough mercury-contaminated fish to risk developmental brain damage in their children.

Most chemicals that go into consumer products are not tested for their toxicity on humans. Moreover, the report points out, even when regulated, the risks of chemical exposure are often estimated for one chemical at a time. In reality, children are exposed to a varied combination of chemicals, ranging from lead and mercury to pesticides--chemicals that can interact to magnify damage. Wallinga says the regulatory system should be looking at the developing child and all the things that can affect behavior.

"Children shouldn't be the guinea pigs for these chemicals," says Wallinga, who worked on the report. "But unfortunately we have a deeply flawed regulatory system that seems to put them in that role." A child's developing organs are extremely vulnerable to chemical exposure, he says. "At the right time, it can throw development completely off course. The brain and nervous system are especially susceptible to that kind of injury."

He recommends reducing exposure to things we know or suspect to be toxic. He notes that potential exposure to these contaminants for inner-city residents could "well be higher" than for others. Dursban, he says, has been one of the two most heavily used insecticides by the New York City Housing Authority in each of the past two years. He urges consumers not to use organophosphates in their homes.

The problem with that, of course, is that I am looking at eight different containers of insecticides, and although I found chlorpyrifos listed on one, I can't tell from the chemicals listed on the others whether they are organophosphates or not. Short of banning them altogether, the government ought to require manufacturers to label these substances so that consumers will know what the pesticide contains and what the effects might be.

Wallinga says a fairly limited number of chemicals are posing the greatest risks, and if we got rid of about 100 of them, "you could reduce much of the risk to children." In other words, this is not some Herculean task beyond the ability of the mere mortals charged with protecting the environment. We've got plenty of evidence now that chemical contaminants can cause damage to children's brains and nervous systems. We should not wait for this to be proven with "scientific certainty" to establish much stronger safeguards for children's public health than we have now.

(The Greater Boston Physicians for Social Responsibility website is at: http://www.igc.org/psr. It includes the report cited in the article.)