W calls NYT reporter "asshole"

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Sep 4 14:36:47 PDT 2000

[following in the footsteps of Larry Summers...]

Bush insults reporter who wrote critical articles

NAPERVILLE, Ill. (Reuters) - George W. Bush, who has promised to bring a new tone of civility to politics, displayed little warmth for a reporter Monday, whispering to his running mate that the journalist was a "major league asshole."

The Republican presidential nominee was unaware his microphone was live when he leaned over to Dick Cheney at a Labor Day rally and said, "There's Adam Clymer, major league asshole from the New York Times."

Cheney responded, "Oh yeah, he is, big time."

Bush was unhappy with a series of articles by Clymer that were critical of the Texas governor's record in Austin.

Bush, whose bid for the White House has been based largely on "changing the tone" in Washington, told the rally in the Chicago suburb that it was "time to get some plain-spoken folks" in the nation's capital.

Later, Cheney was asked by a television producer if "calling people names" was part of the campaign.

"I won't respond to it," Cheney said of the question. "The governor made a private comment to me."

Bush's spokeswoman, Karen Hughes, said the remark was "a whispered aside to his running mate."

"It was not intended as a public comment," she said, adding, "It was a reference to a series of articles the governor felt was unfair."

The campaign of Bush's Democratic rival, Vice President Al Gore, was quick to respond.

"We hold virtually all members of the Fourth Estate in the highest regard and we believe they should be part of the democratic process day in and day out," spokesman Chris Lehane said.