Foreign Sales Corporation update at WTO

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Mon Sep 4 04:38:36 PDT 2000

The export subsidies may not be great tax policy, but they aim to (very) roughly compensate for what the EU does already with its VAT: exempt exports from tax and fully tax imports. So "needs to be destroyed" is a little strong, I would say. The amount of revenue involved suggests the measure is pretty innocuous in the grand scheme of things.

Much more interesting is the political impasse that results if the new law does not pass muster with the WTO. It's hard to imagine the Congress knuckling under to the WTO, all their free trade rhetoric notwithstanding. This is nearly as great a threat to WTO as agitation from the left.

mbs

[I thought I had cc'd lbo when I sent this to pen-l. Apologies for the oversight to those not on that list. Also, here's the link for the Ways and Means bill being drafted that is mentioned below. It needs to be destroyed]