"seminal" texts in feminist economics

B. Deutsch ennead at teleport.com
Wed Sep 6 10:37:03 PDT 2000

: >rational economic man, by nelson and ferber.

The title is actually ~Beyond Economic Man~. This is an essay collection, sometimes leaning a little towards the abstract side (i.e., Donald McCloskey on the importance of storytelling) but very good.

: >economics and feminism, by randy albelda

It's been a couple of years, but if memory serves this is as much about the position of feminism and feminist economists within the profession as it is about feminist economics as such.

The book someone mentioned earlier (but couldn't recall the title of) was ~Who Pays for the Kids: Gender and the Structures of Constraint~ by Nancy Folbre.

I'd also mention ~If Women Counted~ by Marilyn Waring, which has now been reissued under the title ~Counting for Nothing :what men value & what women are worth~. Not as popular among economists, but "seminal" in the sense of being many people's first exposure to feminist economics, and unlike the other books she doesn't limit herself to talking about the first world.

I enjoyed all these books. If I had to recommend just one, though, I'd recommend the Folbre, followed by ~Beyond Economic Man~.

--BD