IP + personal matters

Mikalac Norman S NSSC MikalacNS at NAVSEA.NAVY.MIL
Wed Sep 6 09:31:39 PDT 2000

"The rest of the story is the most interesting part. Who do they want to protect IP from? Well, that would include the rabble musicians who want to bypass the music industry, the Napster addicts, the free software coder, the writers who aren't interested in money, and the indigenous people who are understandably upset that their local ecosystem is being pirated away from them.

Chuck0 Anti-copyright 2000" ---------------------- thanks for your explanation. i'm trying to decide whose side i'm on. let's see, if society dumps IP, then i get all of Perelman's books for free instead of paying outrageous prices at amazon and M.P. goes from the 1st income decile to the 10th decile? that sounds fair to me.

on the other hand, then my Scottish folk-singing son-in-law can't claim 50 years of IP copyrights for his CD ROMs and his kids can't inherit his royalties, so he can't leave them a legacy. that doesn't sound fair to me.

maybe i'll have to think about the cost/benefit tradeoffs a bit more before i vote on this issue.

BTW, can someone out there help me on whether to call my son in law a capitalist or a worker? he has paid for and accumulated a lot of musical instruments and related recording equipment which i assume is capital. however, when he performs he is laboring with his trade tools. is he a capitalist or worker? also, when he hires for fixed fees other musicians for special accompanyments for his recordings on which he profits, is he exploiting this accompanyists or not?

your answers will help me insult him accurately when we meet in Kutztown PA in Nov. for our annual Thksgving family reunion, so thanks much for your help.

norm