FBI on Einstein

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Wed Sep 6 20:25:31 PDT 2000

In a message dated 9/6/00 7:25:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time, seamus at accessone.com writes:

<< Empirical facts are those known through experience, as opposed to

> a priori facts like 2+2=4, known in some other way. There may

> also be a contrast with a theoretical fact, a fact derived from

> the structure of a theory. If that is a valid contrast, the

> constant velocity of c is a theoretical rather than a merely

> empirical fact. --jks

======

What's a non-experience? What is this other way?

Ian

Well, unless you are a Millean about math and logic, we don't know mathematical and logical truths through experience. And if you think there are a priori philosophical truths, such as that time, space, abd causality are necessaty conditions of knowledge, or every effect has a cause, then you might think these are derived from nonempirical sources. --jks