"Progressive" vouchers?

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Thu Sep 7 08:24:54 PDT 2000

Gordon Fitch wrote:

> To refute the idea of school vouchers (and subsidized home
> schooling) in favor of democratically-governed public
> schools, it will necessary to show how democracy, authority,
> and Capital can coexist under contemporary social conditions.
> Not an easy row to hoe.

This places the battle all in the head, treating a political issue as though it were a topic in a classroom, where every audience member (and the number in the audience and the potential number in the audience are the same) listens carefully to al the arguments, then they make a decision. But in politics the actual audience is never more than a very small percentage (very small indeed) of the potential audience; moreover, all that actual audience already agree with you or they wouldn't be there listening to you -- in fact, unless they agree with you they probably don't even know you exist.

So how do we find people to listen to what we are prepared to "show" them?

Carrol