BIG.gov women's fault

Daniel Davies d_squared_2002 at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Sep 8 00:19:54 PDT 2000

--- kelley <kwalker2 at gte.net> wrote: > http://www.forbes.com/forbes/00/0918/6608122chart1.htm

Hey cool. This is, of course, exactly the kind of "while this happened, that happened" analysis that I was beating on Mr. Heartfield for.

Here's a working paper version of the article which, I note with horror, the Journal of Political Economy has published (the journal which published the original Black & Scholes paper, eheu fugaces)

http://papers.ssrn.com/paper.taf?abstract_id=160530

The WP version is pretty horrible stuff. It starts badly with "For decades we have known that women vote differently *than* men." (dd's emphasis and sorry to Carroll) and by page 2 has really got into stride with:

"Disciplines such as sociobiology emphasize why the different sexes develop distinct behavioral patterns consistent with maximizing their probability of successfully passing on their genes (Trivers, 1985, p. 20).2 While sociobiology discusses this theory across many species, a large psychology literature focuses more specifically on humans. This research finds that men are more likely to take career risks and more single-minded about acquiring resources,3 while “women are more inclined to be nurturing and orientated towards others with greater attachment towards their children and less willing to trade material resources for time spent with their children or in other activities” (Browne, 1995, p. 980 and see also Epstein, 1992, pp.986-995)."

In technical news, the author is apparently still soldiering on using the Least Squares/Dummy Variable model for panel data event studies. And none of his freaking regressions contain any time structure for taxation levels, so I'd argue that the whole paper can be safely chucked out the window without subtracting from the sum of human knowledge.

Who is the author of this meisterwerk?

Why, who else? It's John "More Guns, Less Crime" Lott, beloved of these pages, this time working with a bloke called Larry Kenny. The last time I blew up at this btd., he was talking about education and democracy, with his trusty OLS model. He's not got any better.

dd