Chavez: "investors are arriving from around the world"

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Sep 8 16:19:49 PDT 2000

Business Week - September 18, 2000

Venezuela: "Investors Are Arriving from Around the World"

President Hugo Chavez speaks out on Venezuela's ''peaceful revolution''

They call him Hurricane Hugo -- and with good reason. Since taking office as President of Venezuela in February, 1999, Hugo Chvez, the paratrooper turned politician, has swept away much of the old political order. The parties that once dominated the scene have been reduced to bit players as Chvez and his supporters have assumed control of the legislature and the courts. A new constitution, drafted and approved at the end of last year, paved the way for a "mega-election" on July 30. Chvez was reelected with a record 60% of the vote. That's surprising, since he has presided over one of the worst recessions in Venezuela's history.

On Sep. 5, editors Robert Dowling, Rose Brady, and Cristina Lindblad interviewed Chvez in New York, where he and other leaders had gathered for the U.N.'s Millennium Summit. During the hour-long conversation, Chvez outlined some of his plans for what he termed the second phase of Venezuela's peaceful revolution. Following is an extended version of the interview that appears in the 9/18/00 issue of Business Week.

Q: You have spent a great deal of time on political matters in the past months. But what do you intend to accomplish on the economic front?

A: The problem of the first order was the political foundations of the country. I remember being in Washington a few days before taking office and meeting with President Clinton. I spoke about the need for a political fast-track. And it worked. A year and a half later, Venezuela had left behind a political order which was decayed and anarchic. And we did this within the confines of democracy, respecting the liberties and the opinion of the majority. We've had five electoral processes [two elections and three referendums] -- it has been democracy, democracy, and more democracy.

Now, we are in the beginning of the second phase, where the main problem is the economy. But that doesn't mean that during the first phase we neglected the economy. When I took office, the price of our main commodity had hit the floor. Oil was at less than $8 a barrel. Now, the average so far this year is $29.5. That has strengthened the bolvar and has permitted an economic reactivation.

We inherited a fiscal deficit of 8% of GDP and we lowered it in one year to less than 4%. Inflation, which was running at near 40%, is now down to 15%. International reserves, were at $13 billion to $14 billion, are at $18 billion. Lending rates were at 50% and now they are at 30%. In other words, we achieved a lot in one year. Furthermore, we have dragged the economy out of a hole. After four consecutive quarters of decline, in the first quarter of the year, gross domestic product grew 0.3%. And in the second quarter, there was growth of 2.6%.

Where are we headed? What we want to do is to transform the economic model. For decades, we have been solely dependent on the price of oil. We are looking to diversify the economy. Do you know how many laws my government has drafted? More than 40 just on economic matters. Venezuela never had an electricity law. We made one -- a tremendous and modern law. We've also passed a law to exploit gas. Also a law to promote investment. A telecommunications law, which has been applauded by the world. In other words, a bunch of laws designed to reactivate the economy.

Q: What happens if oil prices go down -- let's say to $16?