"Working Families Strain to Live Middle-Class Life"

Tom Lehman TLehman at lor.net
Sun Sep 10 08:25:59 PDT 2000

Carl---I was down at Mansfield, Ohio yesterday visiting with 650 former working families who have been locked out and scabbed on by the AK Steel Corporation for a little over a year.

This was the third time I've been to Mansfield since the lockout started and the Steelworker families of Local 169 are still strong in the face of adversity. No regular income for over a year has got to hurt and hurt bad.

Prior to the lock out by AK, the steel corporation had enjoyed almost 30 years of labor peace! The union had even given the corporation givebacks in the late 80's early 90's to insure the corportions financial health. What did the Steelworkers get for their sacrafices---paramilitary security guards brought into scare the Steelworkers before the lock out. The high tech riot equipped type of goon with the hand slapping technique.

Tom Lehman