[PEN-L:1686] Re: Re: Australian unions back protest

Rob Schaap rws at comedu.canberra.edu.au
Sun Sep 10 23:36:03 PDT 2000

And now Joe Stiglitz is saying that 'it's the markets, stupid' was always a gross simplification - that there were always bigger questions - the social and the environmental. And that these 'fundamental values' were not to be subsumed. Of course, commentary is all about how all we need is 'ethical' corporate leadership (yadda yadda yawn), but the fact is that, in their attempts to soften the popular opposition, the suits are lending much mainstream credibility to political critiques that were cast as marginal and looney only twelve hours ago. This morning, protestors were saying and shouting different things, and their views being reported in different ways. Thanks to the supplications of the surprised suits (much of it honestly held, I don't doubt - at least in Joe's case), it's becoming thematised very nicely. It's becoming something very like a slogan anyone could embrace now, I suspect.

Socially embedded markets or market-subordinated societies? That is the question.

Mebbe we'll stop treating all this as a gladiatorial pro- versus anti-'globalisation' contest - and start working on what we might make of 'globalisation', and who might have a part to play. That could be a politically most interesting development, I reckon.

Yours unusually upbeat, Rob.