Demo New York

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Tue Sep 12 10:45:14 PDT 2000

NOTE: This is New York City

DEMONSTRATION PLANNED WHEN: Tuesday, September 19, 2000. TIME: 4:00 to 8:00 PM. PLACE: Gracie Mansion, East End Avenue at 88 Street.

Mayor Giuliani and the Mayor's Office for People w/ Disabilities will be having a celebration of the 10th Anniversary of the A.D.A. (Americans w/ Disabilities Act) starting at 6:00 PM in Gracie Mansion. This is an insult because the Mayor has done nothing for the disabled population and has reduced MOPD to nothing more than an agency name on paper. The planned celebration mocks the A.D.A. which is so meaningful to disabled individuals. We do not want affairs or parties, we want and deserve an administration that respects us and listens to us. Feel free to bring signs or placards communicating your displeasure. Please, no offensive language or images. If you cannot stay for the entirety of the demonstration, come by when you can to show your support. For additional information, call Anthony at (718) 390-8859. You are encouraged to forward this announcement to people you feel might be interested. Spread the word. Disabled individuals must stick together to be taken seriously!

-- Marta Russell author Los Angeles, CA Beyond Ramps: Disability at the End of the Social Contract http://www.commoncouragepress.com/russell_ramps.html