Robert Reich And School Vouchers: Liberal Emperors, Too, Can Parade Naked.

Tom Lehman TLehman at lor.net
Tue Sep 12 20:19:42 PDT 2000

Leo and can I call you Bob---This week Albert Gore and Joe Lieberman are criss-crossing southern Ohio in separate school buses talking about their educational programs. The only problem here in Ohio is that we have a gizzillion dollars in abated corporate property taxes. Hell, we could probably buy and sell Harvard, endowment and all, a few times if the corporations in Ohio were paying their property taxes. Plus I don't really have a handle on the dollars that have been property tax abated to other business forms and individuals. Have you read about the Toledo Diamler Chrysler Jeep deal?

I read in Business Week a dozen years ago that Al Gore when he was in congress and the senate really led the charge for corporate/business property tax abatement in his home state of Tennessee. Is that true?

I don't know what the corporate property tax abatement situation is up there in cosmopolitan New York City and in this case probably New York state considering Mrs. Clinton is running for Senator and all---maybe you could fill me in a little bit.

Leo, on another matter. Mike Preskop your western New York regional director showed me some of the art that was created by New York City students dealing with sweatshops and child labor. The works by the students that Mike showed me were both beautiful and gripping. The Steelworkers here in Ohio would love to display it.

Tom Lehman