geek

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Tue Sep 12 22:46:02 PDT 2000

At 12:11 AM 9/13/00 -0500, Kendall Clark wrote:

> Peter> For me, the defining characteristic of computer geeks or
> Peter> nerds is their propensity to condescend towards those who
> Peter> lack their expertise.
>
>I think this is largely a stereotype; after all, what's more
>condescending? Microsoft's Talking Paperclip, and the attitude that
>ordinary people are too stupid to really understand anything about
>their computers; or giving away your code to the world at
>large to read, study, and learn from, and then assembling that code
>into operating systems that are challenging but give users a
>tremendous amount of power.

giving away code, as far as i can tell, is all about showing everyone how big your dick is. it is a competition, one upmanship. not much about sharing and caring in that practice, if you ask me. it's about how big a MAN you are for sharing. with the emphasis on "voluntary giving" and being in position to be able to do so w/o much reflexivity on how one got there. who's the 3133+ H4x0R d00d???!! :)

what else explains the why open source isn't really open source? eh?

>Just my 2 sociological cents.
>
>Kendall Clark
>
>PS--I'm still a bit puzzled that the word 'geek' is what people found
>interesting from my essay; I was sure I'd be jeered at for the talk of
>not wanting to cooperate with evil institutions. Go figure. :>

didn't have time. :)

kelley