W's speech

Forstater, Mathew ForstaterM at umkc.edu
Wed Sep 13 10:30:49 PDT 2000

But there's more than that, I think. When I heard him say "subliminable" on the radio, I got the distinct feeling that what he was going for was "if I can't even pronounce it, there is no way I can be guilty of employing it in a commercial." Mat

-----Original Message----- From: Tom Mackey [mailto:dubiousclarity at yahoo.com] Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2000 7:59 PM To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com Subject: Re: W's speech

> >Bush made it clear he does not endorse subliminal messages.
The term itself
> >gave him trouble all day, repeatedly coming out as
''subliminable.''

This mislocution does not bode well. The successfully muddle- mouthed examples of Reagan and Bush the Elder made it clear that many voters believe it important that a candidate appears imbecilic to non-voters, and those voters vote accordingly.