appalling commentary of the day

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Sep 14 08:29:00 PDT 2000

David Glenn quoted Smartertimes:

>She is
>"broke," the Times tells us, "scrambling to buy
>food," and there is "nothing wrong with her
>budgeting skills." But wait a minute. The Times
>glosses lightly over Ms. Williams' "car payments"
>and "car insurance." For all the talk of "bare bones"
>budgets and skipping movies and restaurant meals,
>the first poor-family sob story the Times can muster
>well-developed public transportation systems in the
>world and has her own car. We're supposed to
>feel bad for this woman? The Times doesn't tell us
>what kind of car she drives, but we can only
>imagine. (Later in the story, we learn that the car is
>"needed" to get to a job in Westchester, and that
>the down payment on it was covered by a "tax
>refund.")

Who is this wanker? Didn't Eric Alterman do a little PR for this guy in the Nation a while back?

Yeah, NYC has the best public transit system in the U.S., but lots of areas of the outer boroughs are a long way from the nearest subway station. It's fairly easy to zip around Manhattan and the more accessible neighborhoods of Brooklyn and Queens, but a trip from, say, Bedford-Stuyvesant in Brooklyn to the Upper East or West Sides of Manhattan can take an hour during the day, and a lot longer at night. If she works in Westchester, it could be difficult or even impossible to get there by public transit.

Love the "we can only imagine" bit; that's some smart reporting indeed. After the revo, it's re-education camp for this guy.

Doug