Nader, pro and con

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Thu Sep 14 10:14:18 PDT 2000

Richard Goldstein is quoted: "Sooner or later, the contradictions
>in Nader's strategy are bound to show. Some shop steward will notice that he
>wants to abandon the [internal] combustion engine and raise the wages of
>auto workers."

This is silly. The Internal Combustion Engine (ICE), the primary contributor to both global and local atmospheric pollution, has to go, and its going will benefit auto workers as workers as well as breathers. Its replacement, the hydogen- powered, all-electric, pollution-free Fuel Cell Car is on the way. Just two days ago the California Air Resources Board reaffirmed the requirement that ten percent of all new passenger cars sold in 2003, and increasing percentages in subsequent years, will have to be zero or extremely low emission vehicles. It received nearly 100,000 letters supporting the requirement, although General Motors in particular lobbied strongly for delaying the requirement. When--not if-- we can choose silent, non-polluting, cheaply fueled Fuel Cell cars there will be

more, not fewer, automobiles produced. The Nader campaign, if only by forcing Gore to revive his own forgotten support of alternative fuels, is bringing that time closer.

Shane Mage

"Thunderbolt steers all things."

Herakleitos of Ephesos, fr. 64