geeks

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Sep 14 11:33:30 PDT 2000

[non-sub'd address]

From: Kendall Clark <kendall at monkeyfist.com> Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2000 13:05:12 -0500 (CDT)

>> their computers; or giving away your code to the world at large

>> to read, study, and learn from, and then assembling that code

>> into operating systems that are challenging but give users a

>> tremendous amount of power.

kelley> we were talking, in general, about "geeks". i felt that

kelley> this characterization of geeks (as opposed to peter's

kelley> claim that geeks are "condescending") was a little over

kelley> the top and generously one-sided. giving away code is for

kelley> other people who know what the hell code is and what to do

kelley> with it. ferchrisakes.

Despite being the occasion for Kelley's sociological points re: geeks, I agree with much of what she's said. But in the interests of getting at a broader evaluation of the free software movement, I have a few comments.

It is wrong to say that the code that geeks give away is *just* for "other people who know what the hell code is and what to do with it."

The benefits extend far beyond just other programmers. Some examples:

* The Internet, used by millions of non-programmers, is largely