Brit Unions foaming at the mouth on productivity..

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Thu Sep 14 05:05:08 PDT 2000

Obviously there is some diversity. The Italian and French are relatively radical. The Brits and Germans had Clinton as their model of how to get into power; until recently they had been in the desert for a long while. The Norwegians are a Scandinavian Kuwait; they don't need no stinkin keynesian policy. The Irish are advancing with foreign direct investment by lowballing their wages and deregulating (again after a long period of stagnation). Another pacifying factor is the desire to have the EU succeed.

These are based on fragments of experience. I'm no expert and can't offer any overarching analysis.

mbs

Yeah. What's the deal with European unions? They're being strangled by the European Central Bank, yet they never seem to talk about monetary policy. Why is that?

Seth