abortion

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Sep 15 09:58:06 PDT 2000

Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

>Are you concerned that the abortion issue may scare the women who
>might otherwise vote for Nader into voting for Gore?

Yes. Case in point: Katha Pollitt.

> But you said yourself that the polling figures had not shown a
>gender gap for Nader.

That there is no gender gap is itself a gender gap: the more leftish candidate might be expected to attract more female than male supporters, so the fact that Nader's 4/4 is a sign of his weakness among women.

> What you should be worrying about is race & education gaps:

I am, which is why I called attention to them. Remember, I'm not a Nader enthusiast; I see him mainly as a not-pointless fuck you to Gore, and a way to give the Green Party some institutional legs (which might end disastrously, but which is still an interesting experiment).

Doug