geels

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Fri Sep 15 12:39:04 PDT 2000

Chuck Grimes wrote:

> In order to maintain that production system and secure the integrity
> of Capital's means of control and domination, after a certain point,
> it becomes necessary to insure that whatever skill and knowledge went
> into creating that production system, remains firmly in the hands of
> Capital. Hence, it is important to design systems that can not be
> re-appropriated or re-invented by Labor or by the consumer
> base.

Chuck, I have two problems here. First, while your proposition that "it becomes necessary to insure that whatever skill and knowledge went into creating that production system, remains firmly in the hands of Capital" has a certain nice zing to it, it is not really self-evident. It requires both argument and historical illustration. Secondly, your "hence" is not really earned. That may be the result (or, more accurately, one of the results) of changes in productive resources but I don't see how it follows from what proceeds -- and it is not self-evident that even the horror which is Windows illustrates your logic here.

In short, it would take a lot more evidence to convince me.

Carrol