And the covering of arses commences ...

Rob Schaap rws at comedu.canberra.edu.au
Fri Sep 15 21:13:53 PDT 2000

Fraser's claims rejected

By Foreign affairs writer Robert Garran

16sep00

AUSTRALIA'S ambassador to Jakarta

in 1975, Richard Woolcott, yesterday

rejected claims by former prime

minister Malcolm Fraser that

Department of Foreign Affairs

bureaucrats failed to tell him of

Indonesian plans to invade East

Timor.

Responding to the release this week

of the department's 1974-76 Timor

papers, Mr Fraser said he had been

pressured by the department to send

a message to Indonesian president

Suharto to lock him into their policy

towards East Timor, a claim disputed

by Mr Woolcott.

"I was in Jakarta at the time and was simply the recipient of the message," Mr Woolcott said yesterday.

"When I sought interpretation of it from the prime minister, I was informed that the prime minister's words were self-standing and were not to be interpreted by the ambassador.

"I would be surprised if a message of that nature, which was in fact questioned, would not have been based on proper departmental briefing, even during the period of the caretaker government," he said.

Mr Fraser had been appointed caretaker prime minister after the November 11 dismissal of the Whitlam government, ahead of a general election on December 13.

The Timor documents show Mr Woolcott was directed on November 20 to convey a message to Mr Suharto "indicating the great importance which Mr Fraser attaches to Australia's relations with Indonesia".

"The prime minister wants you to say that he recognises the need for Indonesia to have an appropriate solution for the problem of Portuguese Timor," Mr Woolcott was told.

Five days later, he reported he had called on Mr Suharto to deliver Mr Fraser's message.

To preserve secrecy, as requested by Mr Fraser, he had delivered the message to the president at his home.

Mr Suharto had asked Mr Woolcott to amplify the comment that Indonesia needed an "appropriate solution" of the Timor question.

Mr Woolcott replied he had not had a chance to discuss this with the prime minister but he assumed he had in mind a solution that "accommodated Indonesia's policy interests".