Off List -- Re: Seattle in Australia

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sat Sep 16 15:00:23 PDT 2000

kelley wrote:

> frances: delete now.
>
> >I don't want to be the dour voice of pessimism here, but, so what?
> >And, what significant victory?
>
> hmm. i see that i've been pounding my head on a steel wall again.
>
> that people could organize something like this.

Kelly, the length of many of your posts defeat me -- about 6 screens is all I can take without printing. Have you ever come across the Comte de Mirabeau's remark (early in French Revolution or before), "When 10 people get together, ten thousand tremble." Is that what you are trying to convey to Reese?

At the final convention of the NUC (when we dissolved ourselves formally, having already been dissolved de facto) there was this nut there the first evening who declared the only measure of work in the GI movement was how many GIs it convinced to desert. That seems to be Reese's definition of victory.

Carrol