Law & Medicine & Intellectuals (was Re: geels)

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Sat Sep 16 21:05:27 PDT 2000

In a message dated 9/16/00 2:16:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time, dhenwood at panix.com writes:

<< Ever seen an analytically oriented shrink? Ineffective is not a word

I'd use to describe the experience. >>

I was interested in this years ago, and have forgotten the references, except for Adolf Grunbaum's Founations of Psychoanalysis. However, I do recall that statitsical clinical studies showed pretty consistently that the rate of recovery of people teated by psychoanalysis was no greater than the control group, i.e., that there wasn't persuasive evidence that psychoanalysis made a statistically measurable difference. I recall discuss this with one of my phil science teachers, Larry Sklar at Michigan, a very hard headed philosopher of physics who was also being treated by a psychoanalyst. He said that he avoided reading about that sort of thing because he thought it might have a bad effect on his own analysis. --jks