Kenneth Burke (was Re: geeks)

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Sun Sep 17 04:55:55 PDT 2000

On Sat, 16 Sep 2000 23:25:20 -0400 Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> writes:

> P.S. Between Skinner and Chomsky, there stands Wittgenstein:

Actually, Skinner seems to have been very much influenced by Wittgenstein. Commentators have note the similarities between the examples that Skinner gave of the learning of language in his book *Verbal Behavior* and the ones that Wittgenstein provided in his *Philosophical Investigations*. It seems rather likely that Skinner drew directly upon Wittgenstein's book. Skinner was also BTW a great admirer of Gilbert Ryle, whose general viewpoint was rather similar to that of the later Wittgenstein.

Jim Farmelant

________________________________________________________________ YOU'RE PAYING TOO MUCH FOR THE INTERNET! Juno now offers FREE Internet Access! Try it today - there's no risk! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.