geeks

Gordon Fitch gcf at panix.com
Mon Sep 18 06:22:42 PDT 2000

Daniel Davies:
> > has
> > shown an acute grasp of
> > Kropotkin's ``principle of shared understanding''.
>
> What is it with autodidacts and Kropotkin, bytheway?
> Not necessarily a bad thing, just something I've
> noticed.

A purely competitive model of relationships among members of a community implies a rigorously authoritarian-hierarchical social structure where the combat between individuals has been bound up and rationalized into the individual's rank and subordination. A more cooperative, Kropotkinian model implies a less authoritarian-hierarchical, more egalitarian system of social relations. Autodidacts will likely have either rejected or been rejected by the established authoritarian-hierarchical academic system and will thus feel attracted to models like Kropotkin's which legitimate their approach to information and learning.