Law & Medicine & Intellectuals (was Re: geels)

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 18 06:55:29 PDT 2000

>Cost is not the primary question though -- the primary issue is whether
>psychoanalysis as treatment differs appreciably from placebos, non-
>psychoanaltic therapy, or just wating for the depressive attack to
>go away. *Usually* a given seige only lasts two or three months,
>regardless of treatment or non-treatment. Talking to anyone who isn't
>an asshole will almost always help some. Letters after his/her name
>probably intensify the placebo effect.
>
>Carrol

Psychoanalysis seems markedly similar in dynamics to confession as practiced in Catholicism. Each entails airing your innermost secrets before an authority figure, and each requires true belief to achieve any success at all. As one who considers both belief systems ludicrous, though, I would say Catholics get the better deal: avoiding the extravagant fees demanded by psychiatrists *and* getting the unbeatable psychic reward of divine absolution.