Law & Medicine & Intellectuals (was Re: geels)

Mikalac Norman S NSSC MikalacNS at NAVSEA.NAVY.MIL
Mon Sep 18 11:28:13 PDT 2000

-----Original Message----- From: Chris Burford [mailto:cburford at gn.apc.org]

"...Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) is clearly proved as an effective treatment for depression in controlled trials.

CBT is now proved to reduce the degree of distress from the chronic symptoms

of psychosis.

Information-giving and problem-solving family therapy is proved effective in reducing the relapse rate from psychosis..."

----------------------

for your consideration, some vignettes from conversations with my oldest daughter who is a psychiatrist with her own practice. she presents papers at meetings, so she must be into it big time.

"$100 per 45 minute 'hour'"

"I make more money having my own business."

"I maintain income-protection insurance."

"It's ALL cognitive."

"A disproportionate number of religious are my clients."

"Psychiatrists rely too much on drugs."

"I don't see children; only the parents."

i don't thing she does group therapy, but maybe i'll ask her about that one at Thksgvng in Kutztown.

norm