geeks

kelley kwalker2 at gte.net
Mon Sep 18 19:02:13 PDT 2000

>by himself (and apparently by people like kelley), quite
>seriously. raymond has really become a fsm pimp, trying to
>lord himself over it and control how it is seen. but are you
>asking how the people who code apache or linux or samba, et al,
>view him? they don't. they don't consider him at all. you
>can't pimp what you can't sell...

nearly every word matt uttered sounded like esr. and you didn't sound that much different from him yourself what with all that hysterical stuff about how the workers have won! my god.

exhibit number two: under the discursive impulses of a profession in developmental larval stage. what's that you ask: the attempt to cast off some as fakers, poseurs, quacks, unprofessional, etc.

eventually, it won't be enough to have flame wars on lists and rely on gossip. no. you will eventually have to rely on formalizing credential processes, especially if everyone and their aunt mary start learning all about code and wanting to be hackers. barbarians at the gate, oh my!

read what i wrote: whether hackers take him seriously or not is NOT the point. manifestos like raymond's will operate like those of adam smith, locke, say, marx and so forth because they are duking it out at another level and they ARE being taken seriously in terms of p oliciy debates. that's why the renown lessig and our very own nathan newman debate esr at the American Propsect and other places. while still others like michael perelman and doug henwood and others will take these claims seriously as cultural artefacts--like anthropological artefacts--that can tell us something about social life

media whore? sure. but, by those standards, so were academics like marx, locke, smith, say etc who took the inchoate claims of the bourgeoisie and turned them into social and political theories which they used in their debates with other academics and people who make policies and engage in political struggles. those political and social theories then be/c clarion cries around which social and political movements were waged.

please pay attention.

kelley