[Fwd: [CrashList] Why `alternatives' are not alternative]

Chris Burford cburford at gn.apc.org
Mon Sep 18 23:16:12 PDT 2000

At 22:06 18/09/00 -0700, you wrote:

> Having had a couple of
>batteries blow up in my face, I have decided that hydrogen and
>electricity are bad for my health.
>
>So, explain to me why these electrolytic cells splitting water are not
>little battery bombs.
>
>Chuck Grimes

Well they are.

Carbon based fossil fuels are little batteries of energy, and oil is the most transportable, but there are risks of explosion and fire.

And controlling compact sources of energy has inherent dangers.

A petrol/gasoline station, is a potential bomb too.

Because of CO2 warming, we need non-carbon based "batteries".

Hydrogen has many advantages if the risk of fire and explosion can be controlled.

Presumably nitrogen also has risks as a store of energy.

Chris Burford

London