geeks

James Baird jlbaird3 at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 19 10:37:44 PDT 2000

> It's got nothing to do with computer skills and
> knowledge being something special, and everything to
> do with intimidating outsiders to keep the inside
> clique together.

Damn straight. In my field - network design - the latest rage is for a certification called the CCIE - a two day test which costs $1000 to take, and which most people need at least 3 tries to pass. People who have taken it tell me that, while you need a fair amount of networking knowledge to pass it, the test mostly is an exercise is time-management skills - they give you a network to build that is insanely complicated, and don't give you enough time to build it. Nothing to do with the real world whatsoever.

However, I was talking to a friend the other day, and we both agreed that the networking world, which seemed to undergo major changes every month when we started, seems to have quieted down. Sure, networks continue to get faster, but the basic architecture of IP-based networks is pretty much nailed down. We both agreed that the glory days when anyone who could plug in an ethernet could get a high-paying job are, if not quite in the past, almost there. I think the guild mentality will take hold pretty quickly when network geeks don't get 20 job offers in 2 days when they float their resume...

Jim