Oz puts itself in the frame

Rob Schaap rws at comedu.canberra.edu.au
Tue Sep 19 13:29:43 PDT 2000

G'day all,

The Oz Foreign Affairs Department released 67000 more pages on Oz/ET/Indonesian dealings during the 74-76 period yesterday (Tuesday). Obviously, that little lot is going to take a few minutes to parse, but here's a whiff of what's coming. BTW, I might mention that the bloke who offered the Australian government the eye-witness account of the torture and killing of the fifth Oz journalist (hardly the 'collateral damage' of our still official accounts, eh?), not only had his (apparently now validated) account filed NFA, but we gave his name and details to the Indonesian government at the time, too.

Oh, and I'll stop going on about this if no-one's interested - it's just that this seems a story with a big and multinational future, so I'm burning a bit of bandwidth on preparing the ground, is all.

Cheers, Rob.

New doubts on Balibo victim's fate

By Foreign affairs writer Robert Garran 20sep00

DOCUMENTS released yesterday raise

new doubts about the fate of one of

five journalists who died during the

Indonesian invasion of East Timor on

16 October, 1975, lending weight to

claims he may have died some time

later than his colleagues.

The new material released yesterday

covers 20m of shelf space at the

National Archives, and was the source

of the edited collection of 1974-76

Timor documents from the Foreign

Affairs and Prime Minister's

departments issued last week.

One of the documents released by the National Archives quotes a witness to the day's events, Jose Martins, saying the fifth journalist was killed "in ways too horrible to recount".

The documents show repeated efforts by Australian officials to find the remains of the fifth journalist. "Please make further effort to try to establish which of the papers were found in the vicinity of the fifth body," said a message to Jakarta dated December 1, 1975. "The matter is very important."

The funeral service was delayed in the hope "that the Indonesian authorities may be able to provide the remains of the fifth journalist", a December 2 cable said.

Security expert Des Ball yesterday called for a fresh inquiry into the fate of the journalists - Greg Shackleton, Gary Cunningham, Tony Stewart, Malcolm Renny and Brian Peters.

I'd written: