geeks

JKSCHW at aol.com JKSCHW at aol.com
Tue Sep 19 07:34:42 PDT 2000

Don't you think that college educations in the liberal arts at least help teach students how to write more or less comprehensible English prose? --jks

* * * That educational institutions function primarily as a screening device (or an adjunct to human resources departments of firms) and only secondarily produce "skills" (if they do so at all) becomes strikingly obvious when we look at English Departments, in that, here, it is clear that concrete contents of our labor add little or nothing to the production of "skills" necessary for future employees (this fact is obscured in other disciplines). However, evaluations of students we (along with all other teachers) produce do serve capital by minimizing transaction costs of hiring.

Yoshie