Source for historical election results?

Michael Hoover hoov at freenet.tlh.fl.us
Wed Sep 20 09:18:58 PDT 2000

> I'm looking for a web source for a breakdown by state of the Presidental
> Election results going back to, say, 1968. Much to my annoyance, the
> Federal Election Committee's page only has such results for the last
> election. Absent a web source, a decent print reference will do.
> Curtiss, both working and waiting for the man

check out *History Central* (dig that name): http://www.historycentral.com/elections/index.htm#history

Has state-by-state results dating to 1824 by which time 18 of then-24 states had "popular" elections of electors. For some reason, however, 1992 & 1996 do not include Perot state totals (whereas 1980 includes Anderson, 1968 includes G. Wallace, 1912 includes Debs, etc.)...

Also, Klipsan Press has on-line presidential election atlas for 1932-1996 that includes state results: http://www.klipsan.com/usp_web.pdf

Michael Hoover