geeks

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 20 13:48:50 PDT 2000

> Carl Remick wrote:
>
> >Sure enough. But the first thing you learn in public relations
> >writing is to junk acceptable English and turn it into the
> >incantatory nonsense of bizspeak.
>
> Why don't you give us a helpful little PR glossary, Carl? I love
> turns of phrase like "educate" (= fill people's heads with lies) and
> "work with" (= seduce journalists into being frictionless conduits
> for lies).
>
> Doug

Too 1984-ish, Doug. My own humble niche in propagandizing mainly involves crafting messages for the financial community, and getting those guys to accept your story is truly pushing on an open door. You'll note I used the word "incantatory" to describe business communications, and ritualistic this stuff is. So long as you season your lead with whatever rhetorical claptrap is most fashionable at that particular time -- "B2B," "Internet incubator," "application service provider," "critical mass," "pure play," etc. -- the folks on Wall Street can't get enough of it. The only real effort is to keep current on the lingo.

Carl