geeks

Matt Cramer cramer at unix01.voicenet.com
Wed Sep 20 15:13:33 PDT 2000

On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, Doug Henwood wrote:

> Barry Rene DeCicco wrote:
>
> > > From: Matt Cramer <cramer at unix01.voicenet.com>
> >
> >> In Matt's Libertarian Utopia there is a Fed .gov doing only its authorised
> >> duties according to the COTUS, and everything else is handled by state and
> >> local .gov's. Then States can organise themselves according to their
> >> desired economic and political conditions.
> >
> >Didn't we try that already? Seems to me that you're describing the
> >conditions in the US, pre-Civil War.

As a foundation for a political system, the republic is definitely what I consider the best. However, elsewhere someone paraphrased one of my rants against it as 'the republic is dead'.

> Sure was idyllic back then, wasn't it? Slaves, no vote for women,
> property requirements for male voting. Paradise of liberty otherwise,
> though.

Wow, your too easy. That's like saying [Social|Commun]ism must include Gulags and the starvation of millions. 1840 Alabama was no more the Utopian republic than 1930 Russia was the Communist Utopia.

Matt

-- Matt Cramer <cramer at voicenet.com> http://www.voicenet.com/~cramer/ It's time to stop worshiping gods, and aim at becoming gods. It took four and a half billion years to produce this moment, and who's really awake yet?

-Markoff Chaney