Gore Vidal on the US election

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Thu Sep 21 03:33:53 PDT 2000

On Wed, 20 Sep 2000, Max Sawicky wrote:

> If he means outlays for all defense, as opposed
> to procurement,

Isn't this what most people mean? What are the two different numbers?

"Procurement" refers to purchase of hardware. In my number, I threw in construction, which is classified separately. The biggest piece of the mili budget is compensation of personnel, both uniformed and civilian. Since this is admittedly technical, I allowed as he could have meant total spending. But there isn't much excuse for using discretionary spending rather than total as the denominator when you use words like "the budget." Total discretionary spending well under half the total budget ($1,790 billion for 2000).

mbs

> and if he means as a share of discretionary, rather than of
> "the budget" (his words), then he's in the right ballpark.
> But for a guy who is so sharp w/words, his fuzziness is fair
> game.

Damn right it is!

Joseph Noonan Houston, TX jfn1 at msc.com