Exorcist

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Sep 20 13:03:48 PDT 2000

C. G. Estabrook wrote:

>Bizarre as it may be, Doug, there are some of us who hold in the year 2000
>CE that the answer to the question, Why is there anything instead of
>nothing? -- an answer of course we don't know but call God -- is involved
>with our lives through the announcement of the presence of the reign of
>God by Jesus, who was "was crucified, died, and was buried, and rose again
>on the third day " (as you accurately recall the creed -- you could
>probably still do it in Latin)

With the help of my ancient en face missal, yes.

Is this any more unbelievable than the idea that devils sometimes take up residence in human bodies and can be exorcised by priests who incant the proper formulas? Or is the Jesus story true and the possession/exorcism story superstition? I ask this as someone who is not immune to the beauties of Catholic ritual and icongraphy.

Doug