***** war in the English countryside

Rob Schaap rws at comedu.canberra.edu.au
Thu Sep 21 00:12:04 PDT 2000

G'day Chris,

Whilst (a) my attitude to GM is negative more because of the lies and under-the-counter government intrigue which attended its diffusion throughout our countryside and diets (coz I still haven't a clue what the science of it amounts to), and (b) my attitude to the petrol demonstrations is necessarily ambivalent whilst taxes cop all the flak and the oil cartel gets off scot-free (where does that term originate, btw), I do want to congratulate Chris on this post. Good stuff is afoot out there in people land, and every instance of it is well worth mentioning. Somehow, people have decided democracy sometimes requires a little democratic practice - and when that sentiment stalks the land, there might be no end to it. Our world depends so much on a popular acceptance of democracy merely as ideal form, to the exclusion of democracy as social practice in a materially problematic setting for effectively material ends, that we can only guess where all this people-power stuff could take us ... given the profound institutional legitimacy crisis of our day - it'll be very hard indeed for our betters to appropriate and control it, that's for sure.

Cheers, Rob.