retheorizing the toilet

Lisa & Ian Murray seamus at accessone.com
Thu Sep 21 07:21:42 PDT 2000

[from spoon]

[Spoon-Announcements is a moderated list for distributing info of

wide enough interest without cross-posting. To unsub, send the message

Postcolonial Studies

A Special Issue: The Toilet

Call for Papers

If 'God shat, and then there was Calcutta', as Gnter Grass once so derisively suggested, imagine what a closer inspection of the toilet bowl would bring! Strange, then, that despite the close attention to the body in recent years, the key accoutrement that brought it bodily relief has gone largely unattended. Not any more! 'Postcolonial Studies' has planned a special issue on the toilet. We are interested in contributions exploring as many facets of this topic as is conceivable - from the semiotics of toilet plumbing through to the meaning of toilet graffiti; from techniques of the body through to the metaphoricity of shit. Naturally, we are most interested in those accounts that tie the toilet to postcolonial themes but will also consider publishing those that don't.

Potential contributors are encouraged to write to us indicating an intention to submit a manuscript. Along with this expression of interest we would also require a brief abstract of the proposed paper. We are also happy to accept for consideration short stories, photo-essays and reviews. All contributions to the toilet issue must be submitted for consideration by April 2001.

Please send three hard copies of the relevant article, review or short story to:

Ms. Vanita Seth Department of Political Science University of Melbourne Victoria 3010 Australia

Photo-essays should be sent to:

Dr. Stephen Cairns Department of Architecture and Planning University of Melbourne Victoria 3010 Australia

For further information including an email copy of the style guide, please contact Vanita Seth: v.seth at pgrad.unimelb.edu.au

'Postcolonial Studies' is an internationally refereed journal.