geeks

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 21 09:43:39 PDT 2000

> >"pure play," etc. -- the
> >folks on Wall Street can't get enough of it. The only real effort is to
> >keep current on the lingo.
> >
> >Carl
>
> i'll say. i'd been out of the mgmt loop for about 4 years and then
started
> wallowing in it again. my first experience with mgmt was: it's all about
> learning a new language. but in four years, things have shifted purty
durn
> quickly.
>
> btw, wtf is "pure play"?
>
> oh and you left out the best one: mission critical. gag me with a fork.
>
> kelley

"Pure play" is a paradox, for one thing -- since very little on Wall Street is playful, and nothing there is pure (apologies to Oscar Wilde). At any rate, it signifies that the investment opportunity you are presented with is a great idea because the company specializes in just one thing. How that is supposed to square with another bit of Wall Street wisdom -- that diversification is the key to all good things -- is anyone's guess. But Wall Streeters are too busy making money to be expected to make any sense.

My favorite current buzzword is "metrics."

BTW, yours is one of the very few LBO posts I've been able to access in the last 24 hrs. I've got scads of 'em piled up, but Internet access here at the office is pathetic right now so it takes forever to download Hotmail, because of some massive fuckup at Verizon. What, is management still doing the repair work there?

Carl