Geeks

Barry Rene DeCicco bdecicco at umich.edu
Thu Sep 21 10:48:20 PDT 2000

> From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>

> JKSCHW at aol.com wrote:
>
> >Yeah, I used to try to argue this line with professors, with about the same
> >results. Raises the eternal questionof the left, why do so many people so
> >vehemently reject what is so obviously in their own self interest? --jks
>
> For one, they overestimate their own bargaining power and
> possibilities for upward mobility. For two, unions are for vulgar
> workers, not for distinguished professionals!
>
> Doug

Two good points. In addition, there's the interesting point that this is where ageism bites back. If young programmers look at a 20-something, largely male, non-black, non-hispanic work force and see nothing wrong, then they're setting themselves up for a nasty surprise when they hit 30. And of course the next group of 20-somethings don't seen anythings unusual, and so on....

Barry