lbo-talk-digest V1 #3370

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Thu Sep 21 10:51:18 PDT 2000

>JKSCHW at aol.com wrote:
>
>>Yeah, I used to try to argue this line with professors, with about the same
>>results. Raises the eternal questionof the left, why do so many people so
>>vehemently reject what is so obviously in their own self interest? --jks
>
>For one, they overestimate their own bargaining power and
>possibilities for upward mobility. For two, unions are for vulgar
>workers, not for distinguished professionals!
>
>Doug

I hope they'll pay attention to the fact that even higher-wage workers such as airline pilots & engineers ("No Nerds, No Birds") have organized themselves and are sometimes quite militant. In fact, since it is harder to find scabs for workers who may be called "professional," it probably makes even more vulgar economic sense for them to get organized than, say, cashiers in supermarkets.

Yoshie